Tuesday 22 April 2008

What is Conductive Education?

Well, an interesting title for a blog posting - an even more interesting title for a presentation that we will be presenting tomorrow morning!

At 9 am me and 2 of my classmates will be standing up to give our views on what exactly is Conductive Education. It is actually a very interesting assignment - we have picked a target audience and using our imagination will be speaking to a group of prospective students about the course of Conductive Education (easy to imagine our lecturers and fellow students as 17 or 18 year old adolescents!)

For part of our presentation we have made and edited a short movie in which we interviewed 1st and 3rd year students, asking them questions such as 'what do you plan to do when you graduate' and what do you like most about the course'. Needless to say their answers have been very interesting, funny and have perhaps widened my own views towards the overall benefits of this course. The first question we asked was 'what is Conductive Education' and I find it so very interesting that the answers to this are so wide and varied. I myself find that when i give a definition of what Conductive Education is, it is dependent on who i am talking to for what my answer is and that even 2 years into this course i do not have a straightforward and standard answer to the question 'what is Conductive Education'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After 20 years, I still do not have a simple way of explaining CE. And I agree it depends on who I am talking with.

In my own mind, I fall back on my version of something Dr Hari wrote. It's a bit of a polysyllabic mouthful but it keeps my head on the right lines: "Conductive education is about enhancing the quality of intention to achieve". You can peel that apart, onion-like, layer upon layer of meaning.

What Dr Hari actually wrote was: " ....conductive education enables individuals to build up a new quality of life and a new quality of intention to achieve higher levels of co-ordination and some increase in coherence and power .... For the everyday course of life this means that the individual is able to establish aims (intentions, to retain them, to monitor progress towards them, to resist failure and to overcome obstacles to their achievement."

Conductive Education. Occasional Papers 2. Orthofunction - A conceptual analysis. Maria Hari.