Saturday 19 April 2008

More about me.....

Well, day after tomorrow isn't too bad for my second posting!

I guess to understand a little more about how i have reached this point so far in training to be a Conductor - you need a little background on my life before CE...

As stated before I am 26 years old, and I grew up in Cannock - about 20 miles from the Institute in Birmingham with my mom, dad, 2 brothers, 1 sister, a dog and plenty of tropical fish!

My eldest brother has complex disabilities - he doesn't really have one specific diagnosis - he was born with mild Spina Bifida, and began to have seizures a few days after birth which caused extensive brain damage. He doesn't speak, is tube-fed, (due to Barrett's Osophegus), is doubly incontinent, has contracted limbs, windswept posture, uses a moulded wheelchair insert, but the majority of the time is very happy.

He is 31 years old - has always lived at home - and until recently has always been looked after by my parents alone.

But I wouldn't change anything of this situation for the world... this may shock some people, but anyone with a sibling, child, parent or other family member who has a disability, will understand the joy that my brother brings into my life and the way that this experience has helped shape the person that i am.

After A' Levels at school, i went to University and studied for a degree in Food and Consumer Management (I know - totally different!) When i finished this, i decided to go to America to work as an Au-Pair. I particularly stated on my application form that i did not want to work with Children with disabilities - I felt that i had had enough experiences with this and that my year would be more enjoyable to work with non-disabled children - how wrong was I!!!

I got a call and email with photos from a family in Chicago and within about 5 minutes was completely sold to go and work with a family with 4 childen, the youngest who had a Hemispherectomy at 18 months for seizures, and so has no left hemisphere resulting in paralysis to his right side, plus plenty of complex problems - including being diagnosed with Leukaemia 20 months ago...

Anyway, I enjoyed my time so much that i stayed for 2 years (!) and during this time was introduced to Conductive Education, by Szilvia Mark, a Conductor, who began to do private CE in the home, twice a week.

So that was my first introduction to Conductive Education and after the very first session I was straight on the internet searching exactly what CE was, and imagine my suprise when i discovered how very close to my home the training centre was, and so the application was completed, mailed in and i was invited for an interview..........

Will write more soon, i guess my first few posts will be getting up to where i am now - and then they can become more about the present...

And by the way - my oral exam was fine - have actually impressed myself with how much i do know about Conductive Education, but still scares me how much there still is to learn..........

2 comments:

Susie Mallett said...

Glad to hear you did well in your exam.

I have been involved in CE for 20 years and I learn something new everyday, so don't worry about how much there is to learn.
I am sure I will learn lots from your blog too.
It's nice to have been joined by you out there on the blogosphere.
Susie

www.konduktorin.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Jane,

My name is Peter, I'm from Hungary, and I live in Boston, MA. Szilvia is my cousin and I have a really hard time getting in touch with her. Could you be so kind and provide me with her email address? (Of course you can ask for her permission before that).

Thanks a lot in advance.